Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
For many visitors to campus, the library is the public face of the University. Some campus visitors only enter the library. Since the library has such high visibility to a wide variety of people, staff and student worker appearance and attire should conform to professional standards.
The following clothing guidelines represent our expectations for professional appearance. This might be a different style of dress from what you normally wear to class or around campus.
Acceptable Work Attire
- Long shorts
- Jeans without rips/holes
- Dresses or skirts that fall at or below the knee
- Dress shoes
- Nice tennis/athletic shoes
Come Dressed to Represent Your University
Come dressed in a way that represents SWU well. Student workers who fail to meet the expectations for professional appearance will be asked to sign out and change clothes before returning to work.
Unacceptable Work Attire
- Jeans that are faded or have holes
- Sweatpants/athletic pants
- Pajama pants
- Leggings as pants
- Short shorts
- T-shirts with inappropriate pictures/words
- Shirts that do not cover your middle
- Sleeveless shirts, tank tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps
- Shirts made of sheer or see-through material
- Shirts that reveal excessive cleavage
- Items that are shorter than knee-length
- Tight fitting dresses
- Shoes that are dirty or worn out